Saturday 27 August 2011

STORY:DIFFERENCE


Aruna has been my friend from childhood days, just like me her father was also serving the nation being in defense services. She was a pretty girl with a very polite nature; she is never among the people who would hurt someone. All she cared about all the time was, she should not be the cause of unhappiness for anyone from family to friends she cared about everyone. Not that she gained this kind of maturity as a grown up, fact is she has been like this from childhood days. This was the one major reason why everyone was so much in love with her, obviously she was magnificent. Every soul in the world is not born to be so. Some qualities are inbuilt and all of us were well aware of this fact.
Apart from being a nice human being what made her special was her jubilant nature. I still remember her dialogue “ shivali kamini tu hamesha kamini hi rahegi sudhar ja.” Of course she hardly called me with name all she said every time was “kamini”. We had lot of fun since school days. We have been together from school days, and then decided to take admission in same college. So knowing each other from such long time had made us very close to each other. Aruna had 2 younger brothers, only thing was they pretended to be much more elder than her and sophisticated. My father and her dad were posted in Kashmir and we lived in family quarters in Jammu. Going for movies, hanging out and doing all sort of masti was best part of our friendship. At times things use to turn ugly, you can understand moms, both of them use to get angry if we ever reached home late. We could well understand that’s what moms are all about.
Life could be so beautiful wt times, that’s what me and aruna use to feel about life. We were never among the negative souls.  From college days aruna use to have big time aashiq I mean admirer. Raj was like fan of her beauty, he did every possible thing to impress her. Not that our friend dint have crush on him, she always wanted raj to be her boyfriend, but it takes courage to do so, aruna was one meek girl so proposing a guy was not her cup of tea. Though me and aruna knew that raj will never refuse. Things continued this way for long time and finally in third year raj proposed aruna for marriage. Now marriage was a strange offer, but raj was a from rich business class family so career for a girl was never a important matter, infact it was like they don’t like girl working. I was of thought she should not take decision that quick. As we say when it comes to love people go blind. Both of decided to get married after finishing the college, still parents of raj were not very happy but they wanted their son to be happy so they accepted the proposal.
For whole one year raj and aruna spent maximum time in knowing each other well. According to aruna raj was the best guy and she loves to be with him. Maybe she was right ,in the core of my heart I had doubt but I think that was not the best time to say about such intuitions. After graduation she got married to him, I enjoyed a lot at their marriage. After marriage she use to call me often and told all the stories and things about her new life. With time I noticed some change, call reduced, and her enthusiasm too. I wondered  for days than I thought maybe she is busy with her life. So now I was pretty much use to it. Things went on like this for 1 year. Situation was going to change.
I knew something is wrong but I never wanted to be the disturbing element in her life. As I expected she was not in her normal tone, she told me how frustrated she has been, reason behind was something I never thought of.  As raj was from rich family they had habit of spending lot of money on every occasion let it be Diwali or Holi, but Aruna’s family could not afford that much of money for expensive gifts, for these reasons her family was looked down upon. For every small reason Aruna was made to feel small and her family to be inferior. This were the things that made her married life uncomfortable, not that she wanted to end this marriage, but it was not working very well. All these things happened very frequently. One day aruna went home and when she came back raj’s family asked “dint they give you any money or gifts.” She was shocked but that’s where the real difference was. Now Aruna realized her mistake.
She kept on thinking maybe she did something wrong. “I should I have never married this guy, even if they don’t want to hurt me their lifestyle hits effects my family.” Aruna told me this on phone and she was right. After all when people say you have to be very strong when you get married in family with triple the status which you have. But now it was not possible to change anything. So everything remained same one more year passed. But her jubilant nature was not the same, lost patience, worried. She ended up with depression. I tried to make her understand but she was too sensitive to get things in right manner. I thought with time things would be ok. Every second day she felt hurt and broken and she had kept on living in the same manner.
On Monday night raj came back from office and saw something which was almost impossible for him to believe. A cold dead body with suicide note next to it. This says “I could not take this insult anymore. I feel guilty every second for putting my family in such situation. They tried their level best but failed to match the standards. Iam sorry please forgive me. I loved you and I still do, but today I realized some things are above love and they will be. I LOVE YOU.” It was late night, so raj never moved took her body in his arms and sat still all night long. The fact she was dead was discovered in early hours of morning.  Nobody could believe their eyes, why even she did this? Questions remained unanswered and sadness prevails. People go memories stay.
Aruna will always stay in our heart. And her experience taught me what mistake I should not be committing. I feel I was wrong when i never made my friend understand that maybe this is not the best guy. Somewhere in my heart I knew this but failed to save a life. Every experience of life comes up with a new lesson. Again I say she was a pretty girl if only I could turn was into is………


No comments:

Post a Comment